Friday, April 26, 2013

The Job Search & Choices

It's Spring!  A time of re-birth!  And my own personal New Year, being the April Taurus baby that I am.  

It's also been approximately 1.5 years since my last bad chest cold - and I'm sitting here in my living room, with the smell of eucalyptus permeating the air, a varied assortment of pills and herbs lined up along my bedside, and Juice, water, and tea at the ready.  Oh, yes, and my inhaler.  2 days before my birthday; 1 day before one of my oldest friend's wedding day, and I'm home, lightheaded and fighting a chest cold before it goes full blown.  Prednisone is awesome, but I really prefer the non-bloated look, so I'm trying to avoid it. 

And with all of this, I have the dance of 2 job possibilities circling through my mind, keeping me awake at night.  Yes, that's right - the job fairy has arrived, and I have 2 possibilities to consider.  Neither of which is the job I have been advertising for myself.  I thought, oh yes, I thought I wanted to be an Assistant General Manager of a limited service hotel.  

Even though my research and personal homework has shown that I would be best suited as a counselor, teacher, social worker, life coach, etc.  A position in which I work independently, helping others see the best in themselves and helping them through life's troubles.  But, career changing is not highly advised right now.  With so many individuals are out of work, competing for jobs in their own fields - if you try changing, you are up against many with experience and developed skill sets.  So I decided to begrudgingly stay in the hospitality field.   And figured the next logical step would be AGM, or even GM... 

Yet, I also applied for some sales jobs - even had interviews.  And found they wanted to pay me the same rate I received just out of college - 9 long, blood, sweat, and tear-filled years ago.  I thought the sales world would be exciting, and fun, and would offer a great change of pace.  Then after some thought, and speaking with a GM in the field (outside of ARAMARK), I found I was even more compelled to stay in my field of choice.  I actually got excited about it.  I put the thought of sales out of my mind, and focused on finding Operational positions as an AGM & GM. 

Weeks went by.  I attended many classes at the Career Center.  I crafted new versions of my resume.  I even did more market research trying to find that 'perfect fit' in a company whom I could approach.  Following advice from my classes - I created my very own business cards and the day after receiving them, I attended a networking event on my own!  Low and behold - I received a call the next day ... for a SALES job!  UGH!  Why?  Why oh WHY Sales again?

I took the call.  I spoke to the Director of Sales.  I wasn't overly enthused about the prospect, but I didn't want to turn down an opportunity.  It's now going on 3 full months without a job!  And this was a lead!  Thankfully my honesty and genuine nature won out, and I was granted a face to face interview the next day.  I'm so glad it worked out!!  The building is fashioned after a castle.  The team is amazing, and my interview was blessed.  I met with the GM just a few days ago.  And during that meeting was presented with the option of Accounting/HR.  

Meanwhile - other opportunities have presented them selves as well!  GM with Sodexo, and AGM with Springhill Suites.  And from the Hospitality conference, an offer to forward my resume to some other folks!  

Options.  Choices.  A chance to change my future path.  During the phone interview for AGM, I felt my soul die just a bit.  Wither up, and retreat.  I do not want to work 60-80hrs a week anymore.  I do not want to be the sole person responsible for the initial success or failure of a property.  So AGM / GM ... maybe not so much. 

But sales - could be interesting.  And the Accounting/HR position - calls to some of my strengths and interests in a way I never knew existed.  To be offered a position that could help me balance my life, and still allow me to assist others, and offer support to the property.  YAY!  And to have 2!  different leaders acknowledge my potential, without any solid experience to back me.  Most fortunate indeed.  

So Choices.  Options.  Potential offers.  My 3rd interview just the day after my birthday!  

Let's hope this cold clears up by then!  Here's to good fortune!  And the beginning of my new year - spring!  When new life, and possibilities are birthed ;)


Choices, Chances, Changes:

You must make a choice to take a chance, or your life will never change!








2 comments:

  1. Tia.

    One of the marks of a great post is one that keeps a reader's attention through every sentence. This one did that for me. I was especially interested when you mention the career center and creating your own business cards.

    I love your enthusiasm, that which I wrote about in one of my posts. http://www.timsstrategy.com/blog/never-give-up-hope-in-your-job-search/

    I meant to tell you about my reference to you, but I guess we've referenced each other. I look forward to reading your other posts.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! Both for your comments and for the reference! I had it yet read it :) well written! I hope to attend class on may 6th, but also hope that I will have to cancel - because that will mean I'm employed!!!

    ReplyDelete