Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Spirit of Christmas - A Few Days Late

Perhaps it was the fact that I got my job just a few days before Christmas.  Perhaps it's because Thanksgiving was a smaller affair this year, so the pre-family gathering didn't happen like it usually does.  Perhaps its because we had Thanksgiving a week later this year.  Perhaps it was just a funk year, but Christmas didn't feel like Christmas for me - until now.  Tonight, after the extended family had gone home, a brief nap, and some extra munchies, the spirit and JOY of Christmas hit as I looked around the house and saw all the decorations and the tree.  The living room was picked up, the table cleared off, my Step-Dad was intensely watching football, and I just smiled and felt that little flurry of Christmas joy that had eluded me all season.  

I'm so thankful for my family.  For the love and support they have always given and most especially the love and support of the past year.  Today as I stood back and looked at the assembled Robinson family, I caught myself thinking, "This is my Clan, my Tribe."  We may not all have been there, and that's OK, those who could not make it were here in spirit with me and they are part of the Tribe.  And Family - family is not always blood either.  Friends, those I have 'adopted', and those my parents have 'adopted' are my family as well, and tonight, I give thanks and much love to them as well... 

Christmas Spirit is Traditions, Family, & Love - in all the varied expressions that exist - foods, decorations, games, sayings, all of this and more.  Tonight, I was blessed to touch upon that once more :)

No comments:

Post a Comment